Saturday, March 20, 2010

Because hope isn't a strategy

I was sitting at work this morning wishing I were at home enjoying the beautiful, sun-drenched day with my family when I started asking myself why I was there. "I'm here," I said to myself, "because we have goals." For a few minutes, I thought I was going to be satisfied with that answer. After all, goals are great. We set them, we strive for them. Sometimes, we even reach or surpass them. The problem is, my husband and I don't really have financial goals. Not specific ones anyway. I suppose if I had to pin down our current goal, it would be something along the lines of we hope to cover all our obligations and pay down our debt. Did you catch that little word there that helps me stumble? If you didn't, it's hope.

But wait a minute! you may protest. Hope isn't bad. One of your favorite verses is Jeremiah 29:11. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." If God is giving us hope, how can it be wrong? You wouldn't be incorrect to protest in such a manner. No, not wrong at all. But see, there's more. The problem is I shouldn't stop with hope.

My husband used to have a boss who was famous for one phrase. There would be a meeting or conference call during which this boss would ask the sales guys where they stood with new accounts. Invariably before the conversation ended, one guy who hadn't been particularly successful by that point in time would say, "Well, we're hoping to land this account soon." Without hesitation, the boss would reply, "Hope is not a strategy." At this point, the sales guy knew he was going to have to spell out his actual action plan for successfully landing the account. And as I sat at my desk this morning thinking about our so called goals, those words came back to me.

So over the next few days I'll be doing some self-assessing, some goal setting and defining, and possibly a teeny tiny bit of whining at the tasks before me. (I promise to keep the whining to a minimum). Over the next few weeks, I'll be using the blog for accountability, reassessment, and encouragement (should anyone else actually start reading).

How about you? Do you have any hopes masquerading as goals? Or maybe goal-setting is a strength for you. What tips do you have for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment